pen & brush

Monday, February 02, 2009

STRAINS TO RELAX WITH




Musical interlude


Recently I had to undergo eye surgery, and was admitted to a well known eye hospital. The file they prepared for my case must have looked like a danger signal to the doctors. On the cover of the file was a large red rectangle within which in block capitals was the word `DIABETIC'. Another red box below said `CARDIAC PATIENT'. And another beneath that proclaimed me to be `HYPERSENSITIVE'.

My old friend, Prof.V.Srinivasan, who is a consultant in the Instruments Section of the hospital, went about with his usual brisk efficiency fixing up appointments for me with a charming trio of doctors. The vivacious Dr. Usha (Surgeon), the earnest Dr.Bhanusri (Physician) and the jolly Dr.Ravi (Anaesthetist) took me in hand. Dr.Ravi joked and laughed as he knocked me out with a sedative. When I came round, I found that the operation had been successfully completed. The difficult part was yet to come. I was told not to read, write, watch TV or even talk too much. The last item was the most difficult for an old college professor, even a retired one. I felt this was a tough situation. But later I realized this was a good thing too, for I was now forced to turn to my collection of much-neglected audio cassettes. And so started my voyage of musical re-discovery.

Bing Crosby


I began with one of the most melodious songs I have ever heard, Kaatrinile varum Geetham sung by M.S. in `Meera'. It did sound like music wafted on the breeze. Next came Bing Crosby's popular songs of the 40's. His White Christmas was the largest selling single in the history of record sales and a great favourite with the soldiers during World War II. He had a slight growth in his throat that gave a characteristic tremor to his voice, which was very attractive. Crosby sang a song High Society along with Louis Armstrong, (known as Satchmo) who had a raspy voice. Those days when a song by Armstrong was announced in the radio, the announcer used to say "Let us shovel some gravel out of Satchmo's throat". Armstrong was also a great jazz trumpeter. I then listened to Frank Sinatra singing Three Coins in a Fountain, and the saucy renderings of Eartha Kitt. Then came the lively songs of Julie Andrews in `The Sound of Music', and the theme songs from films like `High Noon' and `Dr.Zhivago'.

Beethoven


The next cassette was Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. When I attended a short course in the Film Institute at Pune, the music director Bhaskar Chandavarkar, had played Beethoven's `Fifth' for us and explained how the whole symphony was a clever permutation and combination of just a few notes. This symphony is perhaps the best known piece of Western classical music. It is almost impossible to believe that this musical genius was stone deaf.

I listened with a nostalgic thrill to the song, Moonlight and Roses which I had heard and enjoyed as a little boy. And then there were Mantovani's instrumental numbers. Next came Jim Reeves. His song, I'll Fly Away, is a poignant one since he died in a plane crash a few days after recording it. He was twenty nine years old. I listened to Yanni's instrumental pieces which put one in a buoyant mood. I have a cassette of jazz music which sets one's feet tapping. I like M.K.Thiagaraja Bhagavathar and T.M.Soundararajan. They have a similar timbre. TMS gave effective musical expression to the lyrics of Kannadasan and to the performances of MGR and Sivaji.

Lata


My all-time favourite though is Lata Mangeshkar. I heard her when I was in college, and still continue to be spellbound by her. The song Aayega from `Mahal' is perhaps my favourite song. It is hers too. Her mellifluous voice is matched by the charming way she enunciates the words. For over half a century her voice has been ringing out from every nook and corner of the country, always sweet and always true. Her voice is verily a gift of God. I have started reading now and watching TV. But I have decided to listen to my audio cassettes too. And so the music will go on.


J. VASANTHAN


(The author can be contacted via e-mail: jvasanthan@sancharnet.in)

© Copyright 2000 - 2008 The Hindu

2 Comments:

Blogger Chitra Lakshimi said...

Prof.Vasanthan, your pictures are getting less of caricatures and becoming more of portraits. I enjoyed your illustation for the piece on music. Well, I fear that audio cassettes are going the way those LP records went. Even I dont listen to my own cassettes...ones which I once slobbered over and kept well hidden lest friends took them away .
Glad to know that you have recovered from the operation.

9:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The oxymoronic pun in the title is so like JV! Reading your posts (which I did all at one go, because i discovered this blogsite just a few days ago) is like being back in your classes, Sir. Your lectures also had the same eloquent style - you brought Shakespeare alive, dwelt on the history and subtleties of the performances of his plays, opened vistas of world cinema, and even painted many portraits and caricatures of celebrities from the tinsel world verbally for us, all without pen and brush! Blessed were we, your students...

12:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home