pen & brush

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

THE MARX BROTHERS

*

The crazy comic team







In the early 1950's, when I first started seeing English films, there were a number of comic teams seen on the screen frequently. Apart from Laurel and Hardy, there were Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and The Three Stooges. There were also occasional pairings like Bing Crosby and Bob Hope and Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. As an avid film fan, I enjoyed all of these with the exception perhaps of The Three Stooges whom I found rather crude and too obvious.


One day a theatre that normally did not show English films screened `The Big Store'. I saw this film, which was my introduction to the Marx Brothers. The three brothers, Groucho, Harpo and Chico whipped up a great deal of energy in their riotous comic routines. (Another brother, Zeppo, appeared occasionally in these films.)


From then on, I made it a point to see every Marx Brothers film as and when I could. I later acquired several of their films for my collection of videocassettes.
Groucho sported an enormous painted moustache and bristling eyebrows. He walked like a bird in a hurry and worked his eyebrows and squint-eyed stares to great effect. Chico was the shrewd one, trying to get some order into the zany shenanigans of his brothers, using a peculiar brand of English. Harpo of the curly hair and bulging eyes played a dumb one, who communicated only with a shrill series of whistles and crazy gestures. The actress Margaret Dumont appeared in many of these films as a lady besotted with Groucho.


A Breakdown of Logic

When Chico and Groucho got into a conversation there was a thorough breakdown of logic and sense. Here is an example from the film, `Horsefeathers'(1932).
CHICO: Who are you?
GROUCHO: I'm fine, thanks. Who are you?
CH: I'm fine too. But you can't come in unless you give the password.
GR: Well, what is the password?
CH: Aw, no. You gotta tell me. Hey, I tell you what I do. I give you three guesses... .. It's the name of a fish.
GR: Is it Mary?
CH: Ha ha! Ats a no fish!
GR: She isn't? Well, she certainly drinks like one. Let me see... .. Is it sturgeon? CH: Ah, You crazy. Surgeon he's a doctor, cuts you open whenna you sick... .Now I give you one more chance.
GR: I got it! Haddock!
CH: Atsa funny, I gotta haddock too.
GR: What do you take for a haddock?
CH: Wella , sometimes I take an aspirin, sometimes I take a calamel.
GR: Say, I'd walk a mile for a calamel.
CH: You mean chocolate calamel. I like that too. But you no guess it. Hey, whatsa matter, you no understand English? You can't come in here unless you say swordfish. Now I give you one more guess.
GR: Swordfish... . I think I got it. Is it swordfish?
CH: Hah! At's it! You guess it!
GR: Pretty good, eh?

Most of the dialogue in their films is in this vein. And then there are the crazy antics like roller skating on shelves and cabinets in `The Big Store'(1941). In `Room Service'(1938), a small cabin gets packed with numerous people. When someone opens the door from outside, people spill out with a force like a cork popping out of a bottle. In `Go West'(1940), the Marx Bros are guiding a train through dangerous territory. When they run out of coal, they chop up the three coaches and feed the furnace. All activities in a Marx Bros film are sure to be winningly quixotic. Bernard Shaw once said: "Cedric Hardwick is my fourth favourite actor, the first three being the Marx Brothers'.


Beautiful Moments

In addition to the zany comedy these films have some beautiful dances like the water ballet in `A Day at the Races'(1937).


There is some soulful singing in `A Night at the Opera'(1935). The wonderful piano playing of Chico and the stunning harp music of Harpo are featured in every Marx Bros film. Chico's fingers do a merry dance on the keyboard providing a virtuoso performance while being funny in the movements. Harpo's performance on the harp is truly impressive. And there are always some comic touches while they perform on their instruments.


It is said that during World War II, Winston Churchill took time off to watch a Marx Bros film, and refused to leave even when there was a call from the War Room. He even forgot to light his cigar we hear.


Perhaps he found more logic in the Marx Bros flick than in the real war that was going on.



J.VASANTHAN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home